Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Daddy Don't Preach

Been withholding these thoughts for quite a couple of months now. But in recent weeks, they've been frothing over the top of my mind like a mug full of fresh root beer. 

I would think in the last 23.5 years of my life, I've been quite an obedient and filial daughter to my parents. I share almost every aspect of my daily life with them - school, friends, ccas, hall life, the bf-to-be, the meeting of the bf, and even meeting the bf's family. Now, i still share work-life with them whenever we sit down at a table together. 

I would say I've done a decent job as a daughter, getting good grades and now a great job, and not having a gazillion bfs and getting into crazy relationships. No tattoos. No cigarettes. No alcohol addictions. One hardworking, smart and financially stable boyfriend with a  brilliant mind. Only one. My first.

I would think introducing the bf to the family (extended, mind you) for 4 years would be sufficient enough for my parents to accept him officially into the clan. And to accept the fact that even after 4 years, no, especially after 4, i need to spend a reasonable amount of time with him.

Day/Night/Day/Night. Makes all the difference huh. Between your values and mine. I think in this era we have very different perception of propriety. Well, actually, no. I unfortunately or not, am every bit as traditional as you. But i desperately need this time together.

To put it technically, for the past 3.5 years we spent most weekdays together, unlike other couples who meet on weekends. This 0.5 year, we've been forced to conform to the regimental role of the ordinary working citizen and only meet barely 2 days a week. Oh, don't forget the bf works on alternate Sundays and i mean including Saturdays. So half the time he's too tired to do anything besides watch tv. (Oh my god, is this what we've been reduced to?!)

I'm not going to get married prematurely to buy the license to stayover. As for the issue of 'values', we definitely know what we're doing. Or rather, we are NOT doing anything. So seriously, get used to it already. Let us live our lives the way we like it, just for once. Stop piling on the guilt; it's not even a big issue to begin with!!

Argh.

   

No comments: