Friday, April 23, 2010

Keep Searching. Don't Settle.

So, today I had my interview with L'Oreal, and then the one hour 'observation' session with the company I met on Monday.

Interestingly, the morning interview with L'Oreal went pretty smoothly - HR dept didn't grill me anything crazy like how I was taught they would when i was doing my recruitment internship. It was just a one-to-one session with me describing my experiences.

It's actually the latter I wanna talk about, that kept me thinking and feeling quirky inside.

6.30pm today, I left hall during a rainstorm to trudge all the way to Yishun MRT (freaking far) for that observation session scheduled at 8pm. I didn't really know what I was in for, except that I was to 'observe' how a typical employee goes about his work in that company. (And that my Ma told me not to write it off so fast, just go look-see won't hurt.)

Well i guess i should have been warned by the mere timing of the session. It turned out to be a door-to-door sales marketing job, promoting Singtel Mio packages and updating customers' databases. @__@

I mean, honestly, I don't despise door-to-door sales or anything. In fact, the guy whom I was understudying (let's call him D) was VERY good at what he was doing. Young guy, smiley and cheerful, funny and a smooth-talker..D was a hit with the hdb residents. No doubt a high-flyer in sales. But while another dude and I followed him around as understudies, maybe i was a little too silent.

Not that we had to do anything, mind you. Besides watching D talk. But I think D, obviously huge on the people-side personality trait, sensed some kinda indifference or something from me. Maybe boredom? After going thru a couple of houses and the hour was up, we had a small chat about the session and the conversation went along the lines of: "You look like an office/work with theory instead of hands on kinda person." From D.

*Frustrated Sigh*. The whole impression I got about his impression was that '(NUS) Grads want the high life, typical desk job, pay $2500++, cannot take hardship, etc'.

BUT THAT IS JUST NOT IT! I'm telling you, the bottomline is, just about ANYONE can do a sales job if you put enough effort into it. Direct sales just needs practice! And what's wrong with being a theory person huh! I STUDIED for 4 years, shouldn't I use some of it?! That just shows why we leave sales to the ones who didn't study doesn't it?! I just prefer back-end marketing, events marketing, sales but NOT door-to-door sales marketing.

At least i know what i like. And what i don't. And i will keep searching. And i don't know why i'm so pissed at a remark (ok he didn't really say it out loud but it what i feel he's saying) from someone i just met 2 hours ago. And the other dude had the cheek to whip out his cigarette in the middle of our conversation, and later declare to me that he was from a gang. -__- Well, good luck in getting this job, ITS ALL YOURS.

I think its just this week of interviews..the ball started rolling again - its just this season of fresh new beginnings and trying to seek a career that will be part of the rest of my life - that keeps me so uptight and self-righteous about who i want to be and what i wanna do.

Here's sth from Steve Jobs that made me feel much better after today:

No comments: