Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Speech War

i'm in a really sombre mood today - as in depressed. Or defeated. Or desperate.
Doesn't really matter whichever.
There's one class i have here which is damn competitive in terms of participation, and it's irritating the hell outta me.

Today at the beginning of class, the prof actually put on screen a graph showing the grade you get according to the number of times you participate in class. Like if you raised your hand 0-1 times per class = C, 1-2 times per class = B, 2< times =" A.

Like, wtf?!

You should totally see the response after that.
It's like, "Me, me, me! Please call me!"
THAT'S HOW IDIOTIC AMERICAN CLASSES ARE.
It's like a freakin game show every lesson - see who raises their hand for (any) answers or comments and yay, you get one point!
The TA sits at the back of the class with a piece of paper with the fixed seating arrangement and literally CHECKS everytime anyone puts up their hand.
Of course, you get extra points if you manage to get away with a relevant joke.

Sigh.

The bottomline is, I'm not one who's big on speaking up in class.
(Unlike my fellow biz exchangee who's pretty much a smooth-talker. Or full of bullshit. )
But I've been trying. I really have.
I'm like clocking at least 2 hands per class already.
But i sit between two prominent bullshitters, no, wait..the WHOLE ROW of them! So i kinda contrast that way, as in the pale way.
Urgh, takes the fun outta everything.

In contrast, my leadership class is EXTREMELY fun!
The prof is like Ellen DeGeneres, with blond hair and a lil' manly aura and a great sense of humor.
And, I really feel compelled to speak up coz she's just so encouraging and warm - you WANNA contribute to class!
Yeah i actually enjoy going to her lessons and say what I really feel about topics..Miracle for a hum-ji person like me!
She has this rule where you can say 'Pass' if you aren't feeling in the mood to talk when she calls you or have nothing to say.
But, of course, I've never used it coz I'm just so comfortable learning and contributing there.

Okay, so this totally negates the statement in Caps above..not ALL US classes suck like that, just the stupid ones which force the crap outta you.

School's good so far..except Mondays and Wednesdays (go figure.)
I love Tuesdays and Thursdays and of coz FReeDAYS !!
haha :)
Long weekends make my weekdays seem short. Lol.
Meanwhile, assignments are rushing in, so 'scuse me for the lower frequency on posts.


Miss y'all back home..I'm losing the Yin qi over here..need some gal power yo!


P.S. Maoch, I wish you were my classmate over here again to egg me on during classes! You'll help me challenge these angmohs! :(


No comments: